A lot of people are unsure what’s the difference. Here we will explain shortly what we recommend.
Use this database type when you need a database for fast „SELECT“ (read) queries.
- Fast SELECT queries
- Lock table instead of rows
- Slower UPDATE / DELETE queries
- Need to be optimized (or select FIXED method)
Big database and a much of changes? InnoDB helps!
- Faster UPDATE / DELETE queries
- Lock only rows instead of whole tables
- Slower SELECT queries
- Recovery possible
So, what should I use?
We recommend MyISAM in most cases. If you’re using big databases and mostly UPDATE or DELETE queries you should use InnoDB. Best option is to mix your databases for correct usage.